Five Signs You Might Need Foundation Repairs in Marinette County, WIFebruary 12, 2018 7:30 pm Leave your thoughts
The foundations underneath homes and other structures may settle slightly or show wear as they age. However, there are homes that are settling too much due to serious foundation issues. The main culprits are water damage, bowing walls or the fact that the structure was built on an unstable foundation to begin with.
You want to catch foundation problems early, but what should you be looking for? Here are five telltale signs that you might need foundation repairs in Marinette County, WI:
- Uneven floors: Slanted, sloping or uneven floors and even floors that have separated from the wall can indicate settling. It could be that water has gotten between the foundation and the house, or inside the foundation itself. But the house might not be settling at all—sagging beams or joists can also cause slanted floors. You can use a measuring tape and level to check for uneven floors on your own, or hire a professional to do this as part of a foundation inspection.
- Visible cracks: A clear sign you need foundation repairs are visible cracks on the exterior or interior of your home. In brick buildings, look for cracks in a stair-step design and long horizontal cracks. Meanwhile, vertical cracking that appears to be getting wider could mean that the wall is rotating—another sign of an issue with the foundation. On the inside, check for signs of cracking in the drywall and plaster. Even wood paneling can crack, and don’t forget to inspect the basement floor and other visible concrete slabs.
- Problems on the walls: The inside walls can show other indications of foundation issues, including cracks, bowing and problems with molding. It’s also not unusual for your walls to show signs of water damage, and they will do so in many different ways. For this reason, don’t ignore large cracks, peeling wallpaper, split paneling, ceiling separation and big sections that appear to be bowing.
- Sticky, tight doors or windows: The doors and windows in your home or commercial building should open smoothly, rather than stick or refuse to budge. So, if you start having problems opening or closing doors or windows, treat it as a sign that your foundation has shifted. Look for non-uniform window frames; they should be perfectly square, rectangle or whatever shape they were designed to be. Other common indicators include doorframe separation or the frame sinking toward its middle. The most common cause of door and window trouble is water damage somewhere in the foundation. Call a foundation repair contractor immediately!
- Failing chimney structure: If your chimney was built at the same time as your house and it’s showing signs of cracking or leaning, this could be an indicator that the foundation is settling. To be sure everything is fine, take a look at the home’s foundation when you repair the chimney.
If you notice any of the above signs, contact the team of experienced concrete contractors at Kwiatkowski Construction Co., Inc. immediately. We’ll find out what’s wrong and then discuss foundation repairs in Marinette County, WI with you. Call us today for more information or to schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: Foundation Repairs
This post was written by Writer